Up to the nineteen sixties, the village was a socially confined area; now the people mixed enough in all aspects of life: families from urban areas and a number of foreigners have settled within its boundaries. Today many young families live in the outlying estates of Xwieki, Żagħruna, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq. The population is about 2000.
Social life has changed with the times. Maltese laws concerning education improved the condition of the villagers. Before the Second World War only a few youngsters reached secondary level; but today a considerable number proceed to the university.
Among the foremost sons of this village we must mention: Prof.Stephen Zerafa the Botanist (1791-1871), Fra John Dominic Mifsud twice doctor and Parish Priest of Naxxar (1642-1722), Mons.Peter Bartolo Parish Priest of Xewkija (Gozo) and Ħaż-Żebbuġ (Malta) (1821-1900), Mons.Prof.Luigi Catania University Professor and Parish Priest of Ħaż-Żabbar (1898-1943), Camelo Sant local poet / bee-master / youngsters’ instructor. Ignatius Sant St. John’s Co-Cathedral organist (1897-1961).
(Article written by Rev. Carmelo Bezzina)